Categories:

Bittersweet performance for Wagner

Senior Nolie Wagner interacts with children at a meet and greet at the Granville Public Library. PHOTO BY JULIA LERNER

BY MAGGIE MCGONAGLE (’15)

For senior Nolie Wagner, performing in “The Nutcracker” is bittersweet.

“Having danced in The Nutcracker since I was 10 years old, this is definitely going to be a tough year for me,” Wagner said. “I’ve grown up with these girls, and it’s hard to think that I won’t be seeing them every weekend at this time next year. The Nutcracker and dance in general have played a big part in shaping who I am today. This year I’m focused on making the best out of the time that I have left with my dance family.”

Wagner will be performing in the Central Ohio Youth Ballet’s production of “The Nutcracker” this weekend at the Midland Theatre in Newark. Three high school students will perform with her, including Jasmin Beaver, Jordan Gummere and Ava Hamstead.

“To become a part of ‘The Nutcracker’ takes a lot of dedication, you have to develop an adequate skill level, be ready for a rigorous rehearsal schedule and make a commitment to the cast,” Wagner said.

Rehearsals are every Saturday and Sunday starting in August. They begin at 1:00 PM and end at 7:30 each day.

“It’s definitely a huge time commitment,” Wagner said. “The rehearsals don’t count as the dancer’s technique classes that they are required to take each week.”

Although the ballet takes up a lot of time, Wagner says it is a great performance to be a part of.

Nolie doesn’t have a favorite part of the ballet, but says that the show as a whole makes it what it is. She hopes that everyone will come out over the holiday and support their local arts.

“It’s going to be the best yet.”

Buy tickets online at the midlandtheatre.org or call 7403455483. Prices of tickets range.

$350
$650