Categories:

Dancer to cheerleader: Sydney Torrence

PHOTO COURTSEY OF SYDNEY TORRENCE
PHOTO COURTSEY OF SYDNEY TORRENCE
PHOTO COURTSEY OF SYDNEY TORRENCE
PHOTO COURTSEY OF SYDNEY TORRENCE

BY EMILY PITCHER (’15)

Then she was a dancer, now she has transformed into a cheerleader. The name, to many, is the name of a friend and a classmate. Known for her long brown hair and her primary focus on her school work, Sydney Torrence appears to be an average student walking the halls. She is a part of the voices for two of the biggest teams, the football and basketball team. She is a hard-working gymnast, as well as a cheerleader. Little do people know how much time cheerleading takes up. Spending hours at practice on top of keeping up with her academics, she has a busy and demanding schedule. So busy, yet so determined and passionate, schools very own student Torrence is a girl who has mastered the art of multi-tasking.

Torrence wants to be an inspiration to younger girls and a role model for her school.

“The reason I am a cheerleader is to provide spirit for our community and to keep the crowd alive,” Torrence said. “I have been a cheerleader ever since I moved to Granville, which was back in the third grade. I have put all my time and effort into cheerleading and I couldn’t be more proud of my improvements.”

Living in Rhode Island before moving to Granville, Torrence defined herself as “a shy girl who immediately found her passion at a young age.”

Cheerleading is a stress-reliever and a way for Torrence to feel a part of the school and community. Having a vigorous school schedule, Torrence gets out on the field and forgets about her school work for a while, and focuses on her cheering.

“Being a cheerleader is rewarding in the sense that you know you are pumping up your classmates and your best friend’s parents for a huge game,” Torrence said.

Among being a busy student, Torrence has found time in her schedule to incorporate her favorite sport and passion. When seeing Torrence cheering at a basketball or football game next time, cheer her on too!

$350
$650