Students serve up delicious renditions of childhood stories at Books2Eat event

High school students united and exhibited their edible renditions of books that they have created at this years Books2eat. This annual event, which takes place on April Fools, targets students who are artists, foodies and interested in exploring the relationship between food and literature.

This year, Books2Eat was hosted locally by Denison University’s Doane Academic Library. Granville seniors Emma Reamer and Elyssa Dorman participated in the event and submitted their own edible creations which included cake and cupcakes that corresponded with the books they selected.

[tribulant_slideshow gallery_id=”59″]

The “most bookish” award was received by Watkins senior Lindsey Darst.

Her rendition of the children’s story “A Bad Case of STRIPES” captivated the those who attended the event through her use of color and fruit loops, according to Art teacher Jennifer Kinsley. 

She presented her edible creation by displaying a large slice of cake on a platter that exhibited the numerous multi colored striped cake. The colors ranged from dark purple to red, that connected the cake to the the images that the book has illustrated on the cover, a young girl who’s skin is now striped due her refusal to eat lima beans.

Darst did not rely solely on the interior of the cake showcase how she connected the book to her cake. She decorated the outside of the cake with white icing and lined the exterior with froot loops, each outer stripe was assigned a color ranging from red to blue in a fashion that appealed to its edible attractiveness.