Athletic futures are in sight for eight of the schools finest athletes

Photo of commons tansformation on signing day (Photo Source: Granville Athletics via Twitter),

February 5 marks the day in which many formally announce to their family and friends where they plan to continue their athletic and academic success. National Signing Day remains one of the biggest days for high school athletes all around the county. This day does not discriminate, it does not matter whether the athlete is going DIII or DI, they are all celebrated the same.

The Commons are transformed from the basic lunch room into a space in which athletes are able to sign to their college in front of a Granville banner with their parents by their side.  

Eight Granville students officially committed and signed to participate on their sports, sports team at the college level. These students include Zak Taylor, Jimmy Fisher, Tyler Dickerson, Alex Sokolik, Madelyn Vradenburg, Megan Mathers, Avery Adkins and Reilly Zink.

Madelyn Vradenburg

Madelyn Vradenburg is planning on attending Capital University and will be participating on their women’s soccer team. Vradenburg has been playing soccer for the girls team for all four years of high school. 

“Playing a sport in college means that finally all of the hard work that I’ve been putting in up to this point is going to pay off,” Vradenburg said. 

Vradenburg is planning on studying athletic training with hopes of working for a school or sports team in the future. Steve Rose has been extremely influential as a role model for future careers among many students here at Granville, Madelyn being one of them.

Alex Sokolik

Alex Sokolik is yet another senior soccer player excited to play soccer at a higher level. Sokolik plans to continue her soccer career at the liberal arts college Kenyon College. Sokolik is a four year varsity letter earner on the girls team and has been an extremely impactful player on the field, according to her high school coach Scott Forster. 

“I’ve been balancing school and soccer for my entire life so it only made sense for me to pursue it in college as well,” Sokolik said. 

Alex plans to double major in film and another program that Kenyon offers, however, she is not positive which direction she will go. 

“Not only am I eager to attend such a competitive school, I can’t wait to make lasting memories with those who share my interests in both soccer and academics,” Sokolik said. 

Megan Mathers

Megan Mathers is a three time varsity letter earner on the girls soccer team and will be continuing her success on the Otterbein University soccer field over the course of the next four years. 

Mathers has been playing soccer since she was around seven years old and has never once wanted to stop playing the sport, thus fueling her drive to play at the college level. 

“I am excited because the Otterbein women’s soccer team is a family just like I did here at GHS,” Mathers said. 

Mathers plans to pursue a career in nursing and not only feels Otterbein is the perfect school on the field, but off as well. Otterbein’s nursing program passing rate is 99% and they offer clinicals down in Cincinnati, an extremely appealing aspect of the school according to Mathers. 

Avery Adkins

New student, Avery Adkins plans to follow in family footsteps and attend Mount Vernon Nazarene University. Like her brother, she will not only be studying there, she will be running track for their program as well. 

“I have been given this opportunity and it shows that all my hard work I have put in during the season and in the off seasons has finally paid off,” Adkins said. “I am extremely excited to run in college because it means I get to run with my brother who is currently on the team.” 

Adkins participates in multiple track events which include: 4×100 relay, 4×400 relay, open 400 and 300 hurdles. 

Adkins also plans to major in Communication Science and Disorders, balancing this work with her extensive track commitment. 

Adkins sports a unique situation as her old GCA high school track coach transferred to the college level and is the new coach at MVNU.

“I have always thought about running for MVNU since i was a freshman and even though I didn’t know it then I have always wanted to follow in my coaches footsteps and run at MVNU,” Adkins said. 

Reilly Zink

Reilly Zink is the only athlete that committed last week to a Divison l level school. Zink will be trading in her blue and white for blue and orange as she will be running cross country at Syracuse University located in New York. 

Zink has made a huge impact upon the girls’ cross country and track teams in her past for years seen through her recognition champion at the league, state and national level. 

“Running has always been a huge part of my life,” Zink said “I’m really excited to see how much I can improve over the next couple years.”

Zink is also taking her academic sucess to Syracuse as she will be majoring in civil engineering. According to Zink, running in college will help make the big change easier and will allow her to have a stress outlet.

Zak Taylor

Zak Taylor has committed to the liberal arts college Baldwin Wallace University and will be playing lacrosse for the Yellow Jackets for the next four years.

“It means the world just to be able to continue playing the sport I love so much for at least four more years, while still being able to earn a degree,” Taylor said.

Taylor will also be double majoring in biomedical engineering and business during his time at Baldwin Wallace.

Jimmy Fisher

Jimmy Fisher is another athlete eager to take his talents to the next level. Jimmy is also yet another athlete comitted to a liberal arts college, as he will be playing at The College of Wooster.

Fisher has lettered for three years of high school in lacrosse and has been a key offensive scorer, according to the boys’ lacrosse coach.

“I have put in countless hours of work to get where I am and am very excited to see what the future holds for me and see where this path will take me,” Fisher said.

Fisher also plans to take on a major in pre-med with hopes of going onto med school after he finishes at Wooster.

Tyler Dickerson

Tyler Dickerson is yet another athlete committed to playing lacrosse in college. He is also the second athlete, along with Avery Adkins, who will be playing at MVNU.

While in high school, athletes spend hours a day with their team and for athletes, having this same connection in college is something that makes the experience easier and exciting, according to Dickerson.

The opprounitity to play in college is something that Dickerson will never take for granted.

“I’ve always thought about it but never actually thought it would happen,” Dickerson said.

$350
$650