Students awarded grant for improving remote learning

An in-person drama student performs a monologue in front of a camera so remote students can view his performance. Drama teacher Sara Sharp was one of twenty teachers to receive equipment from the grant.

Two high school juniors were awarded a $1,500 grant to purchase microphones and cameras to improve the learning experience for remote learners. The grant was provided by the Granville Education Foundation, which offered $1,500 to solve a “specific need with an innovative approach,.”

“Kyle Neeley is to be credited with the idea to write a grant,” science teacher Diane McDonald said.

The inspiration came from the two talking about the struggles remote learners and teachers were experiencing.

“I was just amazed by how many issues the teachers were having juggling two classes at once,” said Neeley. “It became obvious that it hurt the online students the most because I was on the phone for hours every night trying to help my remote friends.”

Neeley researched the cameras and microphones to use in the pilot with Jack Eppley. Matt Durst, the high school principal, then got involved to begin the pilot project. Durst said the use of these devices helped with the remote learning experience from a student perspective.

Neeley and Epply worked together to write the application for the grant together after doing research, with the help of McDonald. After they were awarded the grant they immediately distributed the cameras to teachers who had answered a survey.

“About 20 teachers received devices to assist with including remote learners in their classroom,” said McDonald. The first three teachers to receive the supplies aside from McDonald were Sara Sharp and Elizabeth Muhlenkamp.

The results of the equipment are positive, according to Durst.

“Remote learners are more engaged, and teachers are experiencing fewer technical issues.”

Many teachers, but not all, have received some of the supplies due to demand.

The district plans to purchase more cameras, microphones and tripods using CARES Act fund that the township decided to delegate to the district. The CARES fund is The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, which was passed by Congress, according to the US Department of The Treasury.

Donate to Blue Ace Media
$350
$650
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Granville High School. Your contribution will allow us to pay for our annual website hosting costs.