Top 5 sports movies everyone can relate to

BY COLE JAQUITH (’16)

1. “Rudy” (1993)

Daniel “Rudy” Ruettiger has dreamed of playing football at Notre Dame his whole life. After attending a nearby junior college and overcoming his dyslexia, Rudy is finally accepted during his last semester of transfer eligibility.

The scene where the seniors lay their jerseys on coach Devine’s desk, requesting that Rudy be put on the roster, is iconic. It gives viewers an inside look at the true importance of athletics; the bond between teammates.

Rudy appeals to not only athletes, but all of those who face immense odds. This feel-good tale of the underdog is based off of a true story and is a staple in sports culture.

1. “Caddyshack” (1980)

There are some great golf movies out there, but Caddyshack takes the cake. The boisterous Al Czervik’s gadgets, automatic putter and all, are a prime example of 80’s humor, and are even more humorous now.

Bill Murray is hilarious while playing greenskeeper Carl Spackler, who is constantly plotting to eradicate the “varmint cong,” a clearly fake gopher that terrorizes the prestigious Bushwood Golf Club.

In the final scene, with the match and a lot of money on the line, caddy named Danny Noonan’s final put teeters on the edge of the hole when Spackler sets off explosives in an attempt to kill the gopher, causing the ball to fall in the cup. This glaringly 80’s comedy brings out the fun in of golf and ridicules the pretentious nature of the game.

1. “Field of Dreams” (1989)

Field of Dreams brings some fantasy into the sports world, and I’m not talking about an online league that you join with your friends.

Ray Kinsella, a novice Iowa Farmer, builds a baseball diamond in his corn fields after hearing a voice one evening. Deceased baseball players begin to show up and Ray starts to believe in the magic of the field.

Eventually enough players arrive at the field to form a game. After realizing that his father is in the game, he and Ray play a game of catch that Ray refused when he was younger, easing the pain of their troubled relationship.

Field of Dreams is another heart-warming tale that elaborates on the true magic in sports and  reminds us that those who are gone will always be there in spirit.

1. “Remember the Titans” (2000)

Whether it be the internal feuds, outside criticism, the hardships of training camp, or the struggle of coming together as a team, any high school football player, former or present, can relate to Remember the Titans.

Denzel Washington portrays Coach Herman Boone perfectly in this classic sports film. Through struggles with racial integration and team captain Gerry Bertier’s tragic accident, the Titans prevail and win the state championship.

Based off of a true story, Remember the Titans is a timeless film that has touched the hearts of all that have watched it.

1. “Miracle” (2004)

Immortalized in film, the story of the 1980 United States Olympic hockey team is unlikely to ever be forgotten.

Kurt Russell does a fantastic job portraying the hard-nosed Herb Brooks, who shows no mercy while coaching the inexperienced group of college hockey players that would represent the United States.

For over 30 years the Soviet Union had dominated the international ice hockey scene. Amidst the Cold War, the contest between the United States and the Soviet Union was much more than just a game.

Beating impossible odds, the American’s handed the Soviet’s a stunning defeat, helping a team and a nation realize their dreams.