Introducing project based learning curriculum

BY JORDAN GUMMERE (’17)

The district is introducing Project Based Learning (PBL) this year into all schools in order to give students a way to expand their learning.

“This year is mostly about learning how it all works, and working with professionals who have studied it,” Principal Matt Durst said.

Durst welcomes PBL to allow teachers and students to grow in the classroom.

“I’m in love with it,” said Durst. “I’m excited. Teachers can be more creative again. I think teachers want that.”

Science teacher Mr. Reding is also in support of bringing PBL to the district. Reding says that it will “open communication” between teachers and students and let them learn from each other.

Reding already uses PBL in his own classroom, and is happy to see that the district is interpreting and inserting PBL into their curriculum.

“It allows for an even flow of communication where it’s not always teacher to student, but it’s back and forth,” said Reding. “It’s another approach to the same means that might engage some students more than others.”

Another teacher who already uses PBL is English teacher Beth Simmons, who is one teacher involved in the senior project.

“I think that it will be a great way to engage students in the learning process,” said Simmons. “I think every teacher will try to use it.”

Simmons says PBL will allow students to “have more control” in the classroom “and more control over what they’re learning.”