Music students to perform throughout holiday season

BY MICAH ORGAN (‘19)

Student music groups will be ringing in the holiday season with several upcoming performances throughout December.

The main bands and orchestras have been working for about the same length of time. Preparation for the winter concert begins right after the fall concert is over for each of the main groups.

Choir student Kristen Zehnal said that the choir has been working on holiday music since the beginning of October.

There will be two performances of the fall concert: Dec 5 and 6. This is different from year’s past, where there was only one actual performance of the concert in addition to the full school day of assemblies. Having this other date has caused controversy among some students.

Choir student Isabelle Rosenberg said that she doesn’t like the additional performance.  “It’s a lot of work. […] I’m upset about it.”

In addition to the performances from the main groups (Concert and Symphonic band, Prelude and Sinfonia orchestra, and numerous men’s and women’s choral groups), there are also numerous satellite groups that will be performing at the coffee hour before the concert. In addition to the concert, members of the Women’s Chamber choir and the Steel Drum band are performing at the Candlelight Walking Tour on Dec 1.

Rosenberg is also a member of the choral satellite group Aceapellas, and she believed that adding the coffee hour makes sense to have instead of extending the concert. Zehnal jumped in to add that “[Coffee Hour] makes the concert shorter, which is the best.”

While the students may get tired of performing Christmas music, there is still a sense of enthusiasm among some students.

As Zehnal put it, the best part of the holiday concert is “spreading the joy and Christmas spirit” among the people of Granville.