“Into the Woods” announcement spikes interest from Drama Club members

Drama Club students gather after hearing the 2019-2020 show lineup. On Aug 28, student actors and technicians listen to their potential future Drama Club officers and share opinions on the upcoming shows. (Photo curtsy of Rose Duffus)

BY ANNA MIALKY (’20)

Drama Club advisers announced the lineup for the 2019-2020 season, which features a 60s classic, a popular middle grade novel and a hit Broadway show at the club meeting on Aug. 28. 

Both old and new student technicians, actors and parents gathered in the high school theater to hear co-director Sara Sharp, co-director Stephanie Stanton, Technical Director Tim Stanton and Choral Director Kristen Snyder announce the upcoming shows for this year. Club members eagerly anticipated the announcement. 

“We’ve been waiting for this moment for a very long time,” senior co-treasurer Frances Goodwin said. “Every actor, actress and technicians wants their senior shows to be their best ones yet. I was honestly excited and relieved when I found out what the shows were. Our whole career as GHS Drama actresses has been leading up to this moment.” 

The first production will be the comedy “Get Smart.” It is a popular show based off of the hit 1960s television show by Mel Brooks and Buck Henry, which was a parody of the secret agent genre. It was then later adapted into a full-length play by Christopher Sergel.

“It is a show we’ve done before over 10 years ago and we’re choosing to do it again because it is such a wonderful script with lots of characters,” Sharp said. 

The winter show, the drama “Walk Two Moons,” features a smaller cast. 

“It’s a beautiful story based on the 1995 Newbery Medal award winner by Sharon Crech,” Sharp said. “The idea of ‘not judging a man without walking two moons in his moccasins’ is woven throughout the story. It’s a heartwarming story about love and loss.”

The spring musical, announced last, and debatably the most anticipated show, is the 1987 Broadway show “Into The Woods.” It is a hit musical that ties together many of the classic fairy tales but adds a little twist. 

“I am most excited for the musical ‘Into The Woods’ because it is such a great show and I love the music!” Goodwin said. 

“Get Smart,” “Walk Two Moons” and “Into The Woods” are anticipated to be seen by the outside community and many fellow students at the high school. 

“It seems like everyone including the community is really excited for the musical but not quite sure how the other two will turn out,” senior co-president Rose Duffus said. “I know a lot of people are excited to see how we interpret ‘Get Smart’ and curious to know what ‘Walk Two Moons’ is about.”

Overall, the announcement of the 2019-2020 drama club line up spiked conversation amongst many of the student actors and technicians. Auditions for the fall and winter play will be held in the high school on Sept. 10. More information about auditions and monologues can be found at the call board located in the hallway behind the theater. 

“I think the community will connect to the shows, its characters, and its messages,” Goodwin said. “I think the audiences will adore and support all of the hard work and dedication that the theater department has put into the productions.”

Donate to Blue Ace Media
$350
$650
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Granville High School. Your contribution will allow us to pay for our annual website hosting costs.