Seniors lobby to change rules about backpacks, off-campus lunch

Ella Mork

Seniors and Juniors are spaced out in the gym for lunch.

Ella Mork

Student Body President George Turner is leading the efforts to change the backpack and leaving for lunch policies. 

Turner and Senior Class President Julian Rogers have been having weekly meetings with Principal Matt Durst about bringing backpacks back and allowing seniors to leave for lunch.

“I’m hoping to put out student opinion surveys and also get voices from the teachers then work on a presentation to present to Mr. Brown or Mr. Durst,” Turner said.

Durst said he is very impressed with the students voicing their opinions this year, but as far as students carrying around backpacks this year, he fears safety concerns.

“When a student can walk from a car to a class without stopping at lockers, there are things that can be hidden,” Durst said. 

Teachers think that it can be convenient for students to have all of their supplies with them but it was more of just a congestion in the isles. 

“I appreciate being able to look at a students desk and know that they brought the materials for my class and I don’t have to guess what’s in the backpack next to them,” English teacher Sarah VanValkenburg said. 

Many students said that having backpacks last year was very helpful because it saved them time.

“I think it made the teachers mad when we had to go back and forth to our lockers to get the right materials,” junior Mikey Chaykowski said.

Senior Colden Kadlic drops his books in the hallway.

Teachers think that it can be convenient for students to have all of their supplies with them. 

As far as backpacks, Durst said that the only issue regarding off campus lunch is there is no accurate way to contact trace but they are working on finding a middle ground. 

“Off campus lunch did not get a firm no when it was introduced, which I thought was a win. So I think the door is still open at some point in the year,” Durst said.

The students, and especially the seniors are very appreciative of the efforts being done to try to make this year the best it can be. 

“With how much we’ve lost from Covid already, I feel like it is fair of us to ask for whatever senior privileges we can, because coming in freshman year we saw all of the stuff the seniors get to do and we looked forward to those privileges all three years,” Turner said.