Cross country runners set records, but validity of race is under question

The boys cross country team celebrates their win in the Dublin Jerome Green Open. Photo Source: Acesdistance Twitter

Caden McDermott, Online Editor

The boys cross country team won the Dublin Jerome Green Open on Sept. 24 due to record-setting but contentious meet.

Senior Dylan Christian ran a 16:20, which earned him a spot on the Granville High School Boys Cross Country All-Time Top 10 times, and the time was his own personal record. 

“Yeah, this was a PR I was pretty excited about,” Christian said. “This is my senior season, so I am hoping to break a few more records before I’m done.”

Christian was not the only one breaking records at the Dublin Jerome Green Varsity Race, Lane Hannahs set the all-time freshman record with a time of 16:30. This also put him at ninth overall in the race on Saturday. 

“Lane is a hard worker and I see him as a future leader of the team,” Christian said. “Running seems to come effortlessly for him.”

The team’s great success in the race and personal records were attributed to being pushed by the competition in the green division. 

“Going up against teams like Lakota West, Centerburg, and Grandview Heights really made us all kind of kick into another gear,” Christian said. “We also beat Bexley which we did not think we were going to do.”

This race did not come without controversy. The Dublin Jerome Green Open is normally set up and measured as a 5000-meter race, roughly 3.1 miles; however, this year the distance has come into question. 

“With all the really fast time, they kind of knew something was probably wrong,” Christian said. “So they went back to measure again.” 

Although the Dublin Jerome Green Open was officially measured at 5000 meters, the typical distance for cross country meets, OH MileSplit has since marked the event as a “short course” and stated that the distance was less than 5000 meters.

“It is unfortunate that OH MileSplit is not counting it, however, we still won our division and we are looking forward to continuing our success,” Christian said.