Students feel anxious about PowerSchool changes

Eliot+Albery+checks+his+grades+in+study+hall.+Many+students+have+been+stressed+with+the+inability+to+see+their+grades.+

Jaiden Tripp

Eliot Albery checks his grades in study hall. Many students have been stressed with the inability to see their grades.

Jaiden Tripp

Students and staff members at the high school have been working to adjust to the new change to PowerSchool as the new school year begins, but it has given some challenges.

English teacher E.B. Smith, who has used three different grading systems over her 22 years at the high school, said the change has been a “learning curve” for her.

“In the first twelve days of school, you’ve been educated, then what’s it matter that you can’t see your grades?”

— Principal, Scott Hinton

Principal Scott Hinton agrees that PowerSchool has been challenging, but he does not think that students should be anxious.

“Nervousness and anxiety can come from a lack of preparation,” Hinton said.

Some students, however, disagree. They believe that being unable to see their grades had an effect on their nervousness. They were unable to access their grades until Sept. 2.

“All the kids I’ve talked to are worried that they are failing,” junior Eliot Albery said.

This poll has ended.

Was the switch to PowerSchool stressful to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Even some teachers have been faced with concerned students who were wondering how to see their grades.

“Many students have been concerned about the transition,” physics teacher Dianne McDonald said.

Although students are concerned, Mr. Hinton said that students should not be because they have been fully prepared and educated in the first weeks of school.

“In the first twelve days of school, you’ve been educated, then what’s it matter that you can’t see your grades?” Mr. Hinton asked.