Seniors tackle college applications

Senior Lilly Eckels works on her Chromebook in order to get her college applications done. She has been on many visits and has been figuring out which colleges she wants to go to ever since the summer. “I am really enjoying being a senior this year,” Eckels said. “I am excited about the college search and for my future.”

Lauren Logan

With college application deadlines approaching, the seniors are trying to balance enjoying their senior year with this new big step in their lives.

Counselors have a huge impact on seniors when it comes to college applications. They provide them with guidance in many ways.

This poll has ended.

Are you planning on going to college ?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

“We encourage students to start thinking about [college] their junior year,” student counselor Elizabeth Adams said.

The transition between junior year and senior year can be a huge leap for students, which is why the counselors are there to help. School counselors also have a huge workload at this time of year because they are writing letters of recommendation for students. This may take multiple days and the school allows counselors two days to write from home in order to help with this process.

“During this time we will make notes and might ask other teachers about the students to gather more information. We try to use real stories and examples to help give a full picture of the student” Adams said.

This is what the process is like for school counselors, and explains how they do their best to help seniors during this time. Even over the summer in early August, the counselors will set up help sessions in order to encourage students to apply to college early. Once the school year starts they will meet individually with students and they also have a parent night to provide more info on college applications.

“We offer our time to students to help them with the stress. We are early and proactive in hopes of minimizing the stress and then we get individual time with that student if necessary” Adams said.

Even though seniors are getting help from counselors they are still dealing with the stress of college coming up. Seniors explain their different ways of handling college applications and the stress of their senior year.

Senior Ella Johnson said that hanging out with friends and family is her way of relaxing and having fun during this stressful time.

Even though the beginning of a student’s senior year can be a difficult time to relax, they are still finding ways of having a good time.

“What I mainly do in my free time is draw, read, and sometimes just nothing,” senior Aria Larson said.

With all the help that seniors are getting, it allows them to enjoy their senior year and feel more at ease during an important time in their lives.

“I love my classes and it has been busy but not in a bad way, a lot less stressed compared to last year,” senior Sophia Cotts said.

Seniors know that this is their final year, and once they graduate they will get to be done with high school. Even though it can be stressful seniors are looking forward to the next step.

“[Senior year is] kind of stressful because we have to plan for our futures, but it has been a fun experience,” Larson said.

The workload for seniors has not been too much. According to multiple students at GHS, they believe that their senior year will be a lot more laid back, especially once they complete their college applications. After that, most of their stress will be gone for the year.

“[The workload has been] ok so far, and hopefully it doesn’t get worse,” Johnson said.

The majority of seniors have been enjoying their year so far. It is one big step closer to freedom and I think that is one of the main reasons for their excitement.

“It has been better and I go to bed at the same time, but I feel less overwhelmed, and I am happy,” Cotts said.