How to pick a schedule

Sarah Overly

That time of year has come when students start to think about what classes to take next year and put together their schedule. This can be stressful when it comes to choosing between AP courses, electives, and if you’ll be a senior, when you want your study hall. There are several things one should take into consideration when signing up for classes.

Something that trips a lot of students up, more so upperclassmen, is whether or not to take an AP class. It is important to talk to your teacher of that specific subject to get their opinion on how you would do. You do not necessarily have to have an amazing grade in the class, but if it is obvious you work hard and are responsible then they will probably encourage you to take the AP. It is also a good idea to talk to students who are either in the class now or have previously taken it. They will know first hand what the workload is like and how rigorous it is. It might also be smart to consider talking to the teacher of the AP class you want to take and ask them about the course. Everyone will have a slightly different opinion but from asking questions you can get a general idea of what the class is like. A great thing about AP courses is that they are weighted differently. For example, a letter grade of “B” would actually be an “A”. Then if you have an “A”, or a 4.00, it would be worth 5.00. 

Almost one hundred percent of the time students will need electives to fill their schedule. It can be overwhelming looking at all the options. A good place to start is by choosing courses that you need to graduate. For example, health and financial lit, or maybe you need fine arts credits. There are many different paths you can go down in reaching your credit requirements, and it varies depending on what your interests are. Some take a language all four years of high school while others stop after reaching three credits. Having a discussion with your language teacher is a good place to start so you can get an idea of what you want your plan to be and how far to continue studying that language. If you are looking for electives to fill your schedule that won’t add on much workload, some classes to consider would be sports med, team sports, yoga, or public speaking. There are many options to choose from and plenty of opportunities to pursue something you are interested in.

For upcoming seniors, there is an option of choosing late arrival, double lunch, or early release. This can be a tough decision but it really comes down to personal preference. For those who find themselves staying up late working on homework, late arrival would be a convenient choice. Double lunch is a great option if you want to go off campus for lunch, or take a break at home. It can also be utilized as an actual study hall, so if you have work that needs done at the last minute or to study for a test you can now do that. Early release is good for those that work right after school, or just want to get out before everyone else. All options are great and it is difficult to go wrong with any of them.

If you have any doubts or questions it is important to talk to your teachers or counselor. They will know best and be able to help you in making the right decision. Asking older students that were previously in a class is a very helpful resource as well. That is a great way to get insight on what a class is really like. Do not get too stressed out, schedules are flexible and you can always change them. Sign up for what you think will best fit you and see what happens from there.