Announcements
  • April 15State testing this week 4/16-17 and the following week 4/23-30
  • April 15Prom 2024 on April 20th
  • March 20SENIORS: Email Mrs. Simmons a baby picture of yourself for Senior Night on May 21st!!
  • March 8CTEC Senior Career Awareness Event
  • February 20Senior Awards Night is May 21 at 7pm, Senior service day is May 20th, Graduation Rehearsal is May 23rd, and actual Graduation is May 26!
  • February 20Mount Vernon Nazarene University is hosting a academic camp June 17-21
The Student Voice of Granville High School

Blue Ace Media

Blue Ace Media

Blue Ace Media

Created by Sophia Sturiano
Top 5 phantom foods
April 19, 2024

Athletes sign for college sports

Seven athlete signees share moment to remember
Alyvia Kaethow
Bella Rockwell, Maxton Messner, Aliyah Moore, Harper Annarino, Ava Labocki, Allie Messner and Lyndy Van Horn wait to sign their NIL paperwork. All seven athletes committed to playing at the collegiate level at a ceremony on Nov. 9.

In an unforgettable moment of dedication and skill, seven Granville High School seniors sat down in the school gymnasium, pen in hand and dreams in their hearts, as they officially signed to play athletics at the collegiate level. Each student-athlete brought a unique story, a testament to their passion, hard work, and the unwavering support of their coaches, families and teammates.

On Nov. 9, these seniors signed to take their talents to the collegiate stage, as they carry with them the hopes and dreams of their communities. The signing day festivities were not just a ceremony; they were a celebration of the countless hours of practice, the sacrifices made and the unwavering support that propelled these student-athletes to the pinnacle of their high school careers.

Recruited for College Sports
Harper Annarino

Signed to play Division I women's basketball at the University of Charleston in West Virginia, Annarino is an outstanding athlete. She has been playing basketball for 13 years, and gained recruitment exposure through playing AAU basketball. Annarino's coaches helped support her goals by reaching out to other coaches and sending film of her, which played a large part in her recruitment process. The coaches she has had have not only taught her how to be a leader, but how to be a better person.

Ava Labocki

Signed to play Division I soccer at Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee, Labocki is ready to take on the next level. She has played soccer for over 10 years, and was recruited largely from her highlights she posted and from the tournaments and travel teams she played for. Labocki's high school coach played a large role in her recruiting process as well and has always rooted for her and been approachable, no matter what college or division she chose to further her athletic career at.

Allie Messner

Signed to play Division II women's soccer at Bloomsburg University in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania, Messner is excited to further he athletic career at the next level. She has played soccer for over 10 years, and she contacted coaches recruiting her and sent them her highlight videos to further her recruitment process. Messner's high school coach played a large role in her recruiting process as well, as he has always been supportive of her goals, rooting for Messner no matter what college or division she chose to further her athletic career at.

Maxton Messner

Signed to play Division I men's lacrosse at the Bellarmine University in Louisville, Kentucky, Messner is ready to continue his outstanding career at the next level. He has been playing lacrosse for over 10 years, and gained recruitment exposure through playing travel lacrosse for Resolute, uploading highlights to YouTube, and reaching out to college coaches. Messner has developed himself into a leader both on and off the field, and has been breaking school records since his freshman year.

Aliyah Moore

Signed to play Division III women's basketball at Otterbein University in Westerville, Ohio, Moore is a remarkable athlete. She has been playing basketball for over 9 years, and gained recruitment exposure through playing AAU basketball. Moore's coaches helped support her goals by believing in her and encouraging her, which was instrumental to Moore's development and confidence as a basketball player and as an individual. She attributes a large portion of her success to her coaches and teammates who have always been there to push her both on and off of the court.

Bella Rockwell

Signed to play Division I women's lacrosse at Rider University in Lawrence Township, New Jersey, Rockwell is ready to take her talents to the next level. She has played lacrosse for 9 years, and she gained exposure to the recruitment process both through SportsRecruits and from her high school coaches. On the field, Rockwell's coaches have encouraged her to take risks on defense, and have trusted her to take care of the team and their needs. Off the field, they gave her access to many different camps and coaches who were interested in her. She and her coaches have formed her into a leader.

Lyndy Van Horn

Signed to play Division II soccer at Fairmont State University in Fairmont, West Virginia, Van Horn is ready to move onto the next level. She has played soccer for 12 years, or since she was 5 years old. She used the NCSA (Next College Student Athlete) for a while to get recruited, but mainly emailed the coaches and sent them her highlight videos to further her recruitment process. Van Horn's high school coach played a large role in her recruiting process as well, as he reached out on behalf of her, and was able to talk to her future college head coach on the phone. Along with this, her high school coach has always been supportive of her goals, rooting for Van Horn no matter what college or division she chose to further her athletic career at.

Many described their athletic and academic goals for their college experience as something they want to remember for the rest of their lives. The colleges these recruits have signed to have made each and every one of them feel at home and in the right place to set their future up for success.

Many of these athletes said they gained recognition through playing on non-school affiliated teams.

“I played AAU (basketball), which helped me gain exposure,” said Harper Annarino, who is signed to play Division I women’s basketball at the University of Charleston.

The signees also discussed the topic of how they got collegiate attention from recruits and coaches. Putting themselves out there was a key influence in these athletes getting recognition.

“Uploading highlights to YouTube and reaching out to college coaches helped people from different colleges be able to see me play at tournaments and other places,” said Maxton Messner.

When asked about what role others had on their decision making process, many gave credit to not just their coaches, but also their teammates and family.

Aliyah Moore, signed to play Division III women’s basketball at Otterbein University, said her coaches helped support her goals by believing in her and encouraging her, which was instrumental to Moore’s development and confidence as a basketball player and as an individual.

As the final year of these student athletes’ high school careers comes to a close, the next step awaits them in their individual journeys. From athletes staying close to home, to others moving to different states, these signees look forward to their next steps.