Announcements
  • April 15State testing this week 4/16-17 and the following week 4/23-30
  • April 15Prom 2024 on April 20th
  • March 20SENIORS: Email Mrs. Simmons a baby picture of yourself for Senior Night on May 21st!!
  • March 8CTEC Senior Career Awareness Event
  • February 20Senior Awards Night is May 21 at 7pm, Senior service day is May 20th, Graduation Rehearsal is May 23rd, and actual Graduation is May 26!
  • February 20Mount Vernon Nazarene University is hosting a academic camp June 17-21
The Student Voice of Granville High School

Blue Ace Media

Blue Ace Media

Blue Ace Media

Opinion: Four reasons it’s great to be single on Valentine’s Day

Art by Sophia Sturiano
Art by Sophia Sturiano

Valentine’s Day is a time for couples to show their love for each other through thoughtful gifts or doing something special for one another. For people who are single, the holiday can feel kind of like a drag, and even unnecessary. So, for all the single people out there this Valentine’s Day, I’m here to prove to you why you should actually be happy that you’re celebrating alone. 

Budget Flexibility 

Let’s begin with the financial upside of being single. The general expectation on Valentine’s is for couples to do something nice for each other. This something nice usually tends to cost money in some way or another, whether that be buying a card or taking your significant other out to dinner. But, when you’re single, the choice is yours on what to buy and for who. So you’re in full control if you spend money on yourself or somebody else this Valentine’s Day. 

No Commitment 

Valentine’s for single people is just another day on the calendar, if we’re all being honest. Most of us would probably forget it was Valentine’s Day at all if it wasn’t for the commercial celebration around the holiday. Therefore, if you’re single on Valentine’s Day this year, take it easy. Watch a show you’ve been meaning to, take a nap, make yourself a fancy dinner, even just take a nice long bath. Do what you want instead of being tied down to what your partner might want to do. 

Spend Time with Friends/Families

Valentine’s is traditionally a day about romantic love, but recently there’s been a surge in the popularity of celebrating things like Galentine’s Day (The only male equivalent I could find for this was Maletine’s Day. And that sucks so I’m not calling it that.). Even though you’re not obligated to, singles out there can make the day about celebrating friendships and loved ones instead of just romance. Do something nice for your best friend, get your parents (or grandparents) a joint Valentine’s gift, or have a movie night with your friend group. There are lots of ways to celebrate the other relationships in your life that are equally important as romantic ones.

Treat Yourself…

…has been the main theme of this article. Just like it’s important to care about those in our lives, it’s also important for us to take time to care about ourselves. So, take the steps listed above and do some good old self care this Valentine’s Day. With mental health problems on the rise after the pandemic, it’s good to take a step back from the world every now and again to think about your wants and needs. Indulging yourself in something you like to do is a key part of keeping the fragile balance that we have within ourselves. 

Bonus: For All You Third Wheels Out There…

I myself am a third wheel and know the ups and downs of being one. However, I’ve found it to also be one of the most rewarding relationships I’ve ever had the pleasure of being a part of. Sometimes you’re a negotiator and sometimes you’re an awkward friend there to break up a sweet moment, but, in the end, you usually get double the love you would get from a normal romantic relationship without the commitment that comes along with it. So, to all the third wheels out there, support your couple this Valentine’s Day and make sure they know just how much you love them. Also, couples, make sure to let your third wheel know you value them as a friend and as a mediator and balancing factor for your relationship.  

At the end of the day, I don’t think it really matters a whole lot if you’re alone or with someone on Valentine’s. There are other people in your life that you have relationships with that are equal in significance to romantic ones, including the one you have with yourself, so make sure to let them know how much they mean to you this February 14.