Long-term subs fill in for teachers on maternity leave

BY LEXI MARELLI (’18)

Five teachers have given birth over the last year causing changes in the school.

While English teacher Judith Henderson returned at the beginning of the school year, other teachers are still on leave. Social studies teacher Elizabeth Muhlenkamp, health teacher Karly Worral, chemistry teacher Emily Moon, and intervention specialist Meghan Strayer are currently on maternity leave.

Henderson said she is still adjusting to being back to school.

“The most challenging part has been not seeing Kit as much during the day,” Henderson said.

Other teachers are still preparing to return sometime in the next month. One of them is Mrs. Muhlenkamp, currently being filled in by retired social studies teacher Ed Swope. She said missing the beginning of the school year has been difficult.

“It’s an important time to set the tone of your classroom and get to know your students,” Muhlenkamp said. “It’s important to lay the groundwork for classroom expectations.”

“I love being home with Berkley, but not being present for the beginning of the school year has been stressful,” Muhlenkamp continued.

The chaos will settle down for students as well, when the teachers return.

The teachers and long-term subs, Mrs. Kong, Mr. Nut, Mr. Swope and Mrs. Griffith have been working hard to make the adjustment for the students as easy as possible even though things will be different.

“The lack of sleep and change of pace in our lives was one hundred percent worth it,” said Muhlenkamp.

[tribulant_slideshow gallery_id=”31″]