Two students commit to athletic opportunities in college

BY ELIJAH SMITH (‘18)

As the fall sports season comes to an end, two students have committed to play a sport in college.

Senior golfer Coury Rogers tweeted out that he will be going to Otterbein University where he will be a part of their golf program.

Coury was a special player for the Aces golf team, as he was a varsity competitor all four years. He recently was named First Team All-LCL as well as runner up for the LCL Player of the Year award. Tiffin and Ohio Dominican were also recruiting Coury as well as a variety of other division three programs across the state, but ultimately Otterbein was the best fit.

“Otterbein has a great coach who I have known for years. They also have a really solid reputation for being a good golf program,” Rogers said. “The home course is also really nice.”

Junior baseball player Nate Stone also sent a tweet stating that he decided that he will be playing baseball at Miami (OH) University.

Nate had a great summer playing with the Licking County Athletics baseball program. He performed very well at a couple of different schools, which sparked his recruitment. Ohio University, Cincinnati, Xavier, Bucknell, Dayton and Holy Cross all were recruiting Nate before he made his decision.  This fall, Nate played with Bo Jackson Elite, which is based out of Columbus. With BJE, Nate was able to solidify himself to college coaches throughout this fall period. Ultimately, he chose Miami University.

“Miami is a great school academically, as well as very nice baseball facilities,” Stone said “The coaching staff was very motivated as well.”

Both of these student athletes are no slouch in the classroom, boasting 4.0 GPAs. They both have been great examples for the next generation of student athletes. Coury and Nate have tremendous determination not only in their specific sports, but as well as the classroom.