Winter sports update: Granville girls’ and boys’ basketball teams run through LCL on their way to the tournament

Winter sports update: Granville girls and boys basketball teams run through LCL on their way to the tournament

The winter sports seasons are coming to a close as we head into February, and many of the squads are about to clinch the Licking County League title and prepare for deep runs in the playoffs. Let’s check in how the Aces have been doing this season.

BOYS BASKETBALL KEEPS ROLLING THROUGH LCL, REMAINS UNDEFEATED

The Blue Aces boys basketball team is having a season to remember with a perfect league record at 10-0  and a stellar 13-3 overall record after their overtime win against Heath on Tuesday. They have been led by junior guard Jake Stone, who is averaging over 10 points a game and has had a handful of 20-point games this year, including his last two league games against Watkins and Heath.

Stone, along with senior leaders Cam Crouch and Ben Blanchard, will look to secure a victory against Licking Heights on Friday before the district tournament seed selection on Sunday, where the Aces will more than likely receive a top-five seed. Also, with a win against Heights or a Licking Valley loss in their next game, the Aces will clinch the LCL-Buckeye division for the fourth straight year.

LADY ACES SECURE #2 SEED IN PLAYOFFS IN MIDST OF GREAT SEASON

At 16-3, the Granville girls basketball team are having one of the best seasons in recent memory and have clinched the number two seed in the Division II district tournament while also setting up for a game against Lakewood on Saturday that, with a win, will give them back-to-back LCL Buckeye titles. They finish the season by playing the aforementioned Lancers on February 9th, then Licking Heights on the 12th before finishing the regular season against Liberty Union. They then have a first round bye in the playoffs and hope to make a deep run.

The Lady Aces have been led in scoring by freshman Cate Schieber, who is averaging more than 14 points a game, and returning all-LCL player Lanie Hilaman, as well as sophomore point guard Ella Rogers who has been given much of the ball-handling duties for Granville this year.

GRANVILLE WRESTLERS POISED TO MAKE RUN INTO STATE TOURNEY

An incredibly young and inexperienced team, featuring a roster made up of mostly freshman, the Granville wrestling team has been defined by the learning curve of their developing team, which has led to a 1-3 team duel record. However, the Blue Aces have a stable of wrestlers that have have experience in the postseason that are primed to make a run to states.

They are led by senior Keegan Van Meter, who has already made two state runs during his high school career as a sophomore and junior. Also important for the Aces will be sophomore Douglas Terry, who wrestles at 145 pounds and has rode his decorated youth career to a successful one at the high school level as he qualified for states as a freshman and won a match there. Granville junior Zach Walsh, a three-sport athlete in both football and track, has been wrestling at 152 and fell a win shy of states as a sophomore after an injury-shortened season, and senior Kyle Mangum will look to make some noise in the postseason as well.

COMPETITION CHEER MAKES ITS WAY TO FLORIDA FOR NATIONALS

The Granville competition cheerleading team has had an extremely weather-influenced season, having two of their meets cancelled by snow, but has persevered and qualified for both of their biggest meets, nationals, which they qualified for in their first meet of the season in November, and states, which they just recently gained a bid to attend after their last meet in Dublin.

The girls team also had a competition at The Ohio State University before their state-qualifier. They left for the national competition cheer meet in Florida on the 7th of February and will have an extended stay through Sunday the 10th, where they will compete and hopefully bring back hardware to Granville.