Granville adds free lunch program for students

For most students school lunches may not be the only meal of the day, but for some students it could be the only chance they have to eat high quality healthy food. The Ohio Department of Education has given the school approval to expand the free lunch program to all students who wish to take part in the program. This will allow any student to receive a free entrée drink and choice of fruit or vegetable. Students who are participating in online school due to Covid have the option to come to the school during lunch and pick up their free meal during their lunch period.

Granville’s demand for this program may be low but “Free food allows students to have another option for healthy food” said Durst. Even if students have many options for lunch adding another healthy and cost effective option is never a bad thing. “There are no requirements for students to qualify” said Durst when asked about which students may or may not be eligible for the new free lunch program. This will allow students of all kinds to enjoy the benefits of the free lunch program.

The free lunch program will offer Granville students a wide range of fresh fruits and vegetables straight from the garden located right outside of the cafeteria. Some of the options that students will have includes cucumbers, carrots and lettuce. The garden also houses a chicken coup that provides eggs for the cafeteria and kitchen to use in the schools entrees. Having these fresh food options is a great bonus to the free lunch program as it provides healthy and environmentally sound options for students to enjoy. 

According to the Ohio Department of Education the free lunch program will help students to learn about healthy eating habits and give them ideas for ways that they may be able to eat healthier. The program is also designed to “Safeguard the health and well-being of the nations children” said the ODE.