Announcements
  • April 15State testing this week 4/16-17 and the following week 4/23-30
  • April 15Prom 2024 on April 20th
  • March 20SENIORS: Email Mrs. Simmons a baby picture of yourself for Senior Night on May 21st!!
  • March 8CTEC Senior Career Awareness Event
  • February 20Senior Awards Night is May 21 at 7pm, Senior service day is May 20th, Graduation Rehearsal is May 23rd, and actual Graduation is May 26!
  • February 20Mount Vernon Nazarene University is hosting a academic camp June 17-21
The Student Voice of Granville High School

Blue Ace Media

Blue Ace Media

Blue Ace Media

Created by Sophia Sturiano
Top 5 phantom foods
April 19, 2024

Guilty or innocent?

Drama club presents updated version of a courtroom drama
The drama club will perform the courtroom drama “Twelve Angry Jurors” by Sherman L. Sergel this weekend in the theatre on Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m.

A boy’s life is at stake in the hands of the jury. A 16-year-old boy is on trial for the murder of his father, and twelve jurors will determine whether he is guilty or innocent.

The original play, “Twelve Angry Men,” was written in the 1950s by Reginald Rose, and the first performance of the play was in San Diego in 1964. It was originally written for men only because it takes place in New York City in the 1950s, a time when women could not serve jury duty. It was later adapted by Sherman L. Sergel.

Lani Casto, who plays Juror #8, said that she chose to act in this play specifically because she wanted to do something more challenging and get out of her comfort zone. 

“It is cool to see individuals and how they develop throughout the play and also seeing your friends and they’re sending out an important message out in the world,” Casto said. 

Juror #3, played by Zach Binckley, said that he auditioned for the play because it was his dream to become an actor and he wanted to improve as much as possible. 

“I feel like the character is the exact opposite of who I am as a person,” Binkey said.

The judge, played by Elliott King, said that he wanted to be in the play because he heard that the Granville drama community was great.

“And that [the judge’s voice] was a fun part to be playing,” King added

Director Mrs. Rodecker said The courtroom drama was one of the reasons why she picked this play.

“It is a well-known play and also it fits well with the season,” Rodocker said. “It is also a great fit for the students and the audiences, not only that but this play also challenges them.”

According to the cast, the subject matter of this play is more serious since it involves a matter of life or death.

“This is not like all of the others, it is different, a lot more serious than all the other plays, it is not a gentle or dramatic play, and it makes you feel humanity,” Casto said. 

Tickets are available at ShowTix4U.

Cast of “Twelve Angry Jurors”