Announcements
  • April 15State testing this week 4/16-17 and the following week 4/23-30
  • April 15Prom 2024 on April 20th
  • March 20SENIORS: Email Mrs. Simmons a baby picture of yourself for Senior Night on May 21st!!
  • March 8CTEC Senior Career Awareness Event
  • February 20Senior Awards Night is May 21 at 7pm, Senior service day is May 20th, Graduation Rehearsal is May 23rd, and actual Graduation is May 26!
  • February 20Mount Vernon Nazarene University is hosting a academic camp June 17-21
The Student Voice of Granville High School

Blue Ace Media

Blue Ace Media

Blue Ace Media

Coach leaves an unforgettable legacy

Blue Aces football head coach Wes Schroeder takes new position at Olentangy Orange
MacKenzie BeVier
The team presents the game ball to Coach Schroeder after the second playoff game against Bexley. At the time, they did not realize that it was his last game as the varsity coach.

Granville football Head Coach Wes Schroeder has built a legendary legacy at Walter J. Hodges Stadium, but a new opportunity was presented to him that he couldn’t skip over.

After 4 years as the Aces head football coach, Schroeder is leaving to be at the helm of the program at Olentangy Orange, a Division I football school. He coached at Granville for 4 seasons, including 2 undefeated regular seasons and a Division III state semifinal placement.

He is a great coach and an even better leader: Schroeder did great things for the Aces football program and its players. Some people may believe that Schroeder was “just your average coach,” but his stats say otherwise.

Schroeder went 38-8 overall with the Blue Aces, an unforgettable 82.6 win percentage. He stepped in for Granville during the short 2020 season, and later guided them to a 13-1 record and a regional championship the following year. Schroeder also led them to a 7-4 record in the playoffs over his time as a Blue Ace, and his 4 years at Granville accumulated the most wins across any four-year stretch in Granville football history.

Schroeder is considered one of the best, if not the best, coaches in Granville football history. His style of coaching and play-calling will not be soon forgotten, as it consistently helped the Blue Aces win on gameday.

Coach Schroeder is transitioning to an Olentangy Orange team that most recently finished with a 4-7 season record. While at Granville, Schroeder built a strong staff that included former head coaches. He will be looking to do more of the same with the Orange.

In Schroeder’s most recent season, he mentored a team with what was considered to possess a low number of senior players. While most thought the Aces 2023-2024 season was supposed to be a rebuild, Coach Schroeder rallied the Blue Aces to a 10-0 regular season record. They later won another Licking County League-Buckeye Division title, finished 12-1 and won two playoff games with what was one of the youngest teams the Aces have had in recent memory.

Returning talent for the Aces includes Beckett Long (QB), Jakob Culver (WR), Kyle Kirby (LB), Jackson Pelzer (OL/DL), and a variety of other starters. Along with this talent will be the newcomers from the Blue Aces undefeated 8th grade middle school team.

Under Schroeder’s lead, the Blue Aces were recognized not only for a unique, special, and innovative offense, but a physical and gritty defense.

Both Schroeder and the Aces football program look forward towards promising futures that have the potential to be great for more years to come.