Principal wants an advisory council to review dress code

Senior Ava Miller is interviewed on her opinions about the high schools dress code.

Mia Zink

Senior Ava Miller is interviewed on her opinions about the high school’s dress code.

Mia Zink

The dress code is a controversial topic at the high school; some students feel it’s biased toward boys, and the principal acknowledges that it is easily up to interpretation.

Principal Scott Hinton plans to address the controversy surrounding the dress code by creating an advisory council to review the handbook’s rules.

“Two people could look and see the same exact thing and one person could deem it appropriate and the other could not,” Hinton said, “That’s the controversy with dress code.”

He wants the council made up of students, himself, and other faculty members to help solve this issue and get student input.

This seems promising to students like Ava Miller, a girl who has been “dress coded,” but she hopes that it includes an unbiased approach, targeting both boys and girls equally.

“I just want it to be fair,” Ava said. “Not just girls being dress coded.”

The handbook’s dress code criteria doesn’t mention any specifics about gender, so it is supposed to be applied to both boys and girls in the same manner. It does not prohibit spaghetti strap tops; the only violation mentioned in the handbook about showing skin is if someone’s midriff or back is visible, even though students have been dress-coded for spaghetti straps.

Students cannot “wear clothing that exposes private body parts or underwear/undergarments,” the handbook states, and “students may not wear clothing exposing the midriff or back.”

This poll has ended.

Do you think the dress code is fair to both boys and girls?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Even though the handbook does not mention spaghetti straps, Hinton says that dress code violations are still up to interpretation by the faculty member.

“When a staff member or myself notices something that needs to be addressed, I address it,” he said.