Opinion: Multiple study halls would be beneficial

Sarah Overly

Sarah Overly
Seniors doing homework in study hall

Granville is a very rigorous school with high standards for academics. Students come to realize this the moment they get into high school. Oftentimes balancing homework, tests, and projects can be difficult. This is made even more challenging if a student is in sports, has a job, or both. Sometimes there are not enough hours in the day to put all one’s effort into each aspect of their life. This is why having a study call can be a huge relief. However, sometimes just one is not enough. 

Study hall serves as a time for students to get their work done or ask teachers for help. This is convenient because one might not have the time to do their work outside of school. For example, say a junior plays lacrosse and also has a job. This junior goes straight from eighth period to practice. After several hours of sports, they now have to go to work where they will be long after the sun sets. This is the case for many students. It often results in staying up late and not getting enough sleep which has its own consequences. Now imagine if this student had 1st and 2nd period study halls. They are now able to stay up later to work on homework and not have to worry about being sleep deprived the next day. This will improve the overall well being of the student and how they function. 

At the moment, this scenario would not work. The school does not allow students to have multiple study halls. The argument is that students won’t have enough credits to graduate, or participate in sports. While this is a logical statement, most upperclassmen have already met the credit requirement for graduating. Having multiple study halls in their day would not negatively affect their ability to graduate. 

A lot of the time upperclassmen, specifically seniors, only have a few core classes left. When this happens, students have to fill their schedule with electives. Some of these electives are good but more commonly they are a waste of time. This is taking valuable time out of their day that could be spent working on those core classes they have left, such as english or math. Electives just add more to a student’s already heavy workload. Multiple study halls would allow for students to do better in those classes because they have more time in the day. 

This would be a great opportunity to get help from teachers as well. Staying after school to get help doesn’t always work. Either students have other commitments such as sports and a job, or teachers don’t stay late. While coming in before school seems like a good option, there is never much time that can be utilized. By the time the doors open, class will start within the next twenty minutes. 

If the school wants students to succeed and truly do their best, having multiple study halls should be allowed. This gives students the opportunity to get more sleep, focus on school work, and be less stressed. The more time out of school, the better students’ mental health would be. For many it would be incredibly convenient in their schedule, and allow for more time to get help on work.