Announcements
  • April 15State testing this week 4/16-17 and the following week 4/23-30
  • April 15Prom 2024 on April 20th
  • March 20SENIORS: Email Mrs. Simmons a baby picture of yourself for Senior Night on May 21st!!
  • March 8CTEC Senior Career Awareness Event
  • February 20Senior Awards Night is May 21 at 7pm, Senior service day is May 20th, Graduation Rehearsal is May 23rd, and actual Graduation is May 26!
  • February 20Mount Vernon Nazarene University is hosting a academic camp June 17-21
The Student Voice of Granville High School

Blue Ace Media

Blue Ace Media

Blue Ace Media

Opinion: ‘Imperfections’ become something desired

People are now being told to accept the beauty marks after being told for years that they are flaws.
Artwork by Lyndy Van Horn

As society becomes obsessed and intrigued with new trending looks and items, it seems as though many may take it too far. Tattooing freckles is a new idea that has been growing in popularity and has increasingly been invested in. 

Being a person who has a lot of natural freckles, specifically on my face, the idea of someone paying another person to put freckles on their face on purpose is ridiculous. It is simply unfair and annoying for someone else to be able to do this. Adding freckles to your face should not be accessible to those who don’t have freckles considering those of us who do have freckles have no way of getting rid of ours unless we cover them up with makeup. 

Getting freckles tattooed is an idea that many have had considering they already take time out of their day to use makeup to add freckles to their look. Some believe that there’s no harm in getting freckle tattoos. 

The truth is that getting freckles tattooed is expensive for a procedure that will most likely only last two years at most. There’s also a major risk of infection, allergic reaction and improper application, according to NewBeauty. These could all be horrible side effects of a semi-permanent procedure, but the one people need to think about the most is regret. When you get freckles tattooed they will not look like what a filter predicts them to nor what they look like on another person naturally. Of course, they will not be permanent and you can always get rid of them.

On the other hand, someone with natural freckles can never get rid of them. The marks that have now become an insane beauty trend have been used in countless ways to call someone ugly. For years people who have natural freckles have been subject to comments telling them that their face is dirty, that they need to get out of the sun and that they need to cover them up. Before 2019, the look of freckles was not something people wanted. Clear of texture and marks, porcelain skin was in trend and for those of us who have natural freckles, there was no way to just tattoo it on. 

Crying over these beauty marks is a common experience as derision proves over and over to be too much. But now as we finally can wear our skin naturally without judgment, we have people wishing to look like us. They tell us to embrace our freckles, our imperfections, as some would say, well all I have to say is that they should learn to embrace their own, without modifications.