Announcements
  • April 15State testing this week 4/16-17 and the following week 4/23-30
  • April 15Prom 2024 on April 20th
  • March 20SENIORS: Email Mrs. Simmons a baby picture of yourself for Senior Night on May 21st!!
  • March 8CTEC Senior Career Awareness Event
  • February 20Senior Awards Night is May 21 at 7pm, Senior service day is May 20th, Graduation Rehearsal is May 23rd, and actual Graduation is May 26!
  • February 20Mount Vernon Nazarene University is hosting a academic camp June 17-21
The Student Voice of Granville High School

Blue Ace Media

Blue Ace Media

Blue Ace Media

Queen of the arena

10 questions with Miwa Davis
Lyndy Van Horn

Miwa Davis has been a figure skater for as long as she can remember and has a new adventure beginning soon in Japan

How old were you when you began ice skating?

I was 6 years old. 

How did you get into skating? 

I guess I was just watching the Olympics on TV and wanted to try it. So my mom took me to the rink in Newark down here I started over there but then after I started more in Columbus with my new coach and that’s where I still skate. 

How many years have you been competitively skating?

I started competing when I was 7 or 8 so around 10 years now. 

Do you strictly do singles ice skating?

I do solo ice dance, so it’s kind of like ballroom dancing but without another person but I did singles too for a while. 

How often do you practice and compete?

I practice Sunday through Friday, anywhere from an hour and a half to three hours a day. Then my season is from March, it’s about to start soon, up until September which is when nationals are. 

Do you have a favorite competition or routine that you have ever done? 

So the program that I am competing through is international this season so there is one that the U.S. is hosting and it’s in Washington so I am looking forward to that one which is in a month. We get to represent the U.S. and everything. Program-wise, I like competing in everything, I don’t have a favorite. 

Do you think that you will compete for a while in the future?

Yeah, I want to compete in college too so depending on where I go because many schools have collegiate skating programs. 

When you move to Japan are you planning to continue your ice skating career?

Maybe, so I’ve been trying to find a rink that I can skate at since we kind of know where we will be next year, but we are also trying to find me a partner to skate with over there. Because partnered ice dance is the one you can compete in high levels with. 

What are you most excited about for your move to Japan?

Just being in the culture more. Since like here, I talk to my parents in Japanese but it’s not the same, there’s only a limited amount of words that I use. I also just want to learn how to read better as well because I don’t see Japanese that often here. Just being in a completely new country will be cool. 

What do you think you will miss the most when you go to Japan?

In general, I think I’ll miss just being here for my senior year and my friends because I want to be here with them. Then skating also my friends because I see them for hours every single day as well and my friends that I see at competitions from other states since I won’t be competing in the U.S. next year.